Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Leapin' Lizards!!!

It all started when I FORGOT to bring an old rotting log...

I introduced decomposing today as part of my pollution/conservation unit, and I wanted to bring in an old, rotting log to hook the kids' attention.  Great idea!  Until I forgot to go out back and get a stinky, old stick.  So there has to be some at school... This is what went through my brain until I got there and saw that of course the grounds crew had just visited our elementary school.  Just my luck! 
We have a small garden area, so I settled for some rotting leaves and a couple of rotting root stalks. 
Jack pot!!!!

Five minutes til class and I am set!  So excited.  The kids will be eager to find out why I have this (even got the old brown banana from last week's lunch), and I put it all on one of my blue science trays. 
My science lesson doesn't start until 9, so I just left it on the table.

No problem.

me-  "Y'all look at this!"
class- they look... at my hands holding the decaying leaves

   AND THEN A TINY, BLACK LIZARD LEAPS FROM HAND, ON TO THE TABLE, ACROSS THE FLOOR, UNDER THEIR CHAIRS

side note:  kids are now standing on their chairs, a few shrieking girls, "I'll get it, I'll get it" from the boys, complete NOW WHAT?  in my brain, and I decide we will let it stay.

me- "Let's keep the lizard.  He can eat all the bugs we've been seeing.  The bugs are probably from the candy you keep bringing in."
class-  "KEEP IT?!?!?"
me- "Sure.  Lizards don't bite."

hmm---I want them to watch part of Magic School Bus Meets the Rot Squad...in the dark...this won't work.

Plan B-
me- "Morris, please catch the lizard."
Morris- "OK!!!!!!!"

COMPLETE CHAOS for 2 minutes

He hands me the lizard.  I, of course, drop it.

Second round of chaos...

He hands it to me AGAIN.

They all sit down in shock that I'm holding a lizard. 
me-"What are some adaptations of a lizard?"  - got to keep it standards based, lol
class-"EWWW!    Can we touch it?   I don't want to.  I do.  You're scared of lizards!"  and the taunting begins.
me-  "I'll put him outside, or you can tell me some adaptations and I'll bring him around."
class- "They camouflage.  They have sticky feet.  They fly!" ????  We'll need to work on this.

And this is the moment the door opens... and in walks the... PRINCIPAL!!!!

principal-  "Are you holding a leaf?"
class- spontaneous laughter
me- "No, it's a lizard.  We're just talking about animal adaptations.  Conner, can you tell Mrs. C. about how a lizard can....."

YEP!  GREAT DAY!!!!


End of the day.... A sweet, little girl comes to me and says, "You know, Mrs. Purvis, you're just like Ms. Frizzle."  :)

2 comments:

  1. I love this post...too funny! Way to go for making science come to life for your kiddos! You will always be remembered as a Mrs. Frizzle. =)

    I am happy to be one of your newest followers. I would love for you to hop over and visit me when you get the chance.

    Heather
    Heather's Heart

    ReplyDelete
  2. Never a dull moment in the teaching profession!
    I'm your newest follower!

    ❤Shari
    Keeping it Fresh in 6th Grade

    ReplyDelete